ALERT: THE BIG TUJUNGA WASH MITIGATION AREA NEEDS YOUR IMMEDIATE HELP!!
Recently, unlawful activities and damage to habitats have become frequent problems in the Big Tujunga Wash Mitigation Area (BTWMA). The Los Angeles County Department of Public Works (LACDPW) needs your help to report any problems you see right away!
If you see any of the following types of activities or issues within the boundaries of the BTWMA, please report them IMMEDIATELY to either the Big T email address (BTWMA@dpw.lacounty.gov) or by phone to ECORP Consulting [Kristen Wasz (909) 307-0046 or Lauren Dorough (714) 648-0630]:
- Automobiles parked at the Cottonwood entrance or at the Tujunga Ponds parking area (other than County, ECORP Consulting, or Natures Image vehicles)
- Off-road vehicles
- Cutting or trimming of vegetation (other than the Natures Image crews)
- Damage to gates or fences
- Unlocked gates
- Man-made traps designed to harm horses or people
- Shooting of any type of weapon (including paintball and airsoft guns)
- Fishing or capturing of other wildlife species
- Bathing or swimming in the Tujunga Ponds or Haines Canyon Creek
- Rock Dams or other blockages in Haines Canyon Creek (other than the fish screen at the pond outlet)
- Homeless encampments
- Suspicious behaviors by people or the repeated presence of people in certain areas
- Building cooking fires or using a barbeque or camp stove
- Trash dumping
- Creation of new trails
- Any other issues or occurrences that seem out-of-place in the BTWMA
Please call 9-1-1 IMMEDIATELY to report wildfires or other emergencies. Do not call 911 for non-emergencies.
Please call the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department at 1-800-834-0064 to report non-emergencies, such as minor incidents or safety concerns. DO NOT use 911 for non-emergencies.
If you observe any health concerns, such as hypodermic needles, illegal paraphernalia, or unknown material or chemicals, please contact the Health Hazardous Materials Division (HHMD) of the LA County Fire Department. During business hours (8AM to 5/6PM) the number to contact is (323) 890-4317 and after hours the number is (323) 881-2455.
If you have any questions or you would like to report an issue, please contact the LACDPW at BTWMA@dpw.lacounty.gov or ECORP Consulting [Kristen Wasz (909) 307-0046 or Lauren Dorough (714) 648-0630]. Also, it would be very helpful if you would notify LACDPW or ECORP if and when you contact law enforcement so LACDPW can follow up on the situation accordingly.
The BTWMA is an amazing natural area that is designed to protect the sensitive habitats and the wildlife that occur there. You, as the site users, are our best eyes and ears in the BTWMA and we need your help to identify and report problems or issues as soon as they happen. Please pass along this call for help to anyone you know who enjoys the BTWMA so we can build a bigger support system and have even more eyes on the ground!
Thank you for your participation in helping keep Big T a clean and safe place for people and wildlife alike.